Enter Class J-478. Eggs Ole’ Contest
Wednesday, August 16, 7 p.m. until 8 p.m., Department J in the Exhibit Hall
Enter this special recipe contest and you could be going to the State Fair!
To enter the contest, complete an online entry form by Friday, August 11. All contestants must bring their entries to the fairgrounds between 6 p.m and 7 p.m. on Wednesday, August 16, and have them ready for judging.
Must use a minimum of 4 eggs or at least one/half egg per serving.
Must have a Latin or Hispanic flavor, with ingredients, name, presentation or origin.
May be for traditional Latino recipes but need to have a personal twist *.
May be for appetizers, hand-held items, breakfasts, casseroles, side dishes, entrees or desserts.
Must be able to be served at room temperature, chilled or cold.
Must be written listing ingredients in order of use, and include prep instructions clearly stated, with time/temp/serving numbers included.
Will be presented for judging following proper food safety standards.
Will all be judged as adult entries, although minors may enter.
May be used for promotions & presentations by the Virginia Egg Council.
Prizes will be sent directly to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners from each local fair by the Virginia Egg Council.
Eligible for State Finals:
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be mailed prizes and become eligible to compete for top state honors at the finals, to be held at the State Fair of Virginia, on October 7, 2017
- Open to any individual who is a Virginia resident; one entry per person. Participant does not have to reside in county where fair is help. Local fairs are asked to waive any residency requirements. Participants are eligible to place 1st , 2nd, or 3rd in ONE contest ONE time. They may compete in other contests until they do (if fair rules permit - some do not)
- Entrant must prepare a recipe that would be considered to be Hispanic-inspired and may be for an entree, a dessert, an appetizer, a brunch/breakfast item, a hand-held item, or a side dish.
- A minimum of 4 large eggs must be used and a minimum of 1/2 eggs per serving must be used in the recipe.
- Entry may be presented in/on any type of container for judging. Safe food handling is the responsibility of the contestant. Contest organizers may find a contestant in-eligible should a product be presented at room temperature that should have been kept cold.
- Recipe must: list ingredients in order of use; include preparation instructions, cooking time and temperatures, and yield. Written recipe must be legibly printed on one side page and must be submitted with prepared entry. Back side of page must include contestant's name, address, phone, email address, and the name of the item. Contestants must fill in Participants Release Form to be attached to recipe.